4oD on Channel4.com, the primary gateway through which millions of users watch Channel 4 on demand, has been rebuilt and will launch on Wednesday 31 August with a host of new features all geared towards enhancing the user experience.
With 215 million long-form video views in the first half of 2011, Channel 4 remains the biggest commercial broadcaster in the UK VoD Market.
Unlike other broadcaster services, 4oD not only offers a 30 day catch up but boasts an extensive back catalogue of programmes permanently available to view on demand.
New features include a fast and efficient predictive search and viewer driven recommendations, which significantly improve the discoverability of content in the extensive archive.
The all new 4oD will also include 'My 4oD' for the first time, where registered users can sign in to access a number of enhanced features, helping them to manage and create their own on demand experience.
'My 4oD' will allow users to:
- Create playlists of episodes and schedule an evening's viewing or simply create a list of shows they want to remember to watch (My 4oD Playlist)
- Keep track of episodes they've watched or started watching (My 4oD History)
- Save favourites in a single place and get in-page reminders from Channel 4 whenever a new 4oD episode is available for them to watch (My 4oD Favourite Shows)
The new 4oD player is optimised for in-page viewing, with the player now the focal point.
The new player design enables users to:
- Discover related and viewer recommended shows from our catch-up and archive - now organised in more easily accessible categories, as well as by channel.
- Get recommendations via the 'People Also Watched' feature that highlights related shows watched by other 4oD users
- Experience a market leading, truly immersive full screen experience that allows users to access and manage 'My 4oD' and even switch the show their watching - all without ever having to leave full screen.
Sarah Milton, Channel 4's Head of VoD said - 'Increasing the availability of 4oD on multiple platforms remains a key tenet of Channel 4's strategy. Channel4.com is by far the most popular access point for 4oD and we are focused on developing and improving this proposition.
We have refined and optimised the design to ensure viewers get the best experience from the wealth of content Channel 4 has to offer. We have over 5,000 hours of archive programming available on the Channel4.com 4oD service, and the redesign makes it even easier for users to browse our offering.
'My 4oD' enables viewers who log in to benefit from enhanced playlist, favourites, and history features.
Further developing the personalisation potential of the My 4oD area is a key ambition of our Audience, Technologies and Insight team, and their drive towards deepening relationships with our audience, so viewers get the best out of their experience with Channel 4."